Trang’s Lockdown Almond Banana Bread
This banana bread was the only good thing to come out of lockdown for me. From the first black loaf that I pulled from the oven to now a proud banana bread baker. Happy to bake this every other weekend since I always double up and make 2 loaves so I can share the extra loaf with my family. Great way to see them and hand deliver the freshly baked loaf!
270g caster sugar
2-3 ripe, peeled bananas, mashed
280g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
140g unsalted butter, melted
120g of sliced almonds (100g into the batter and 20g for decoration on top of loaf)
A loaf tin dusted with flour
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Beat together the sugar and eggs until light in colour, then beat in the mashed bananas.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sliced almond and ginger to the sugar mixture.
- Pour in the melted butter and beat until all the ingredients are well mixed together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth over with a palette knife.
- Sprinkle over the remaining sliced almonds over the top of the mixture.
- Pop into the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.